Over the counter diet pills are a huge market but is any diet pill safe?
An overweight person who is desperate to lose weight may find the hype for these pills very tempting and many of course do … thus the huge market for them.
The makers of diet pills proclaim their worth in rousing tones … promising instant weight loss to everyone.
What is the truth of these diet pill?
The over the counter diet pills are not required to meet the standards of the Federal Drug Administration so the vendors of these pills can tout them according to their own research and reviews of them. What the FDA can do is pull them off of the market if they are proved to be unsafe.
Ephedra … which claimed to burn increased calories … is one pill that was pulled off the market after it was proven to cause high blood pressure, heart rate irregularities, heart attack, seizures and strokes and even death. Yet .. it still can be sold legally as a tea and can be bought on the internet.
Some of the other more popular pills on the market today and their claims are listed below. As you will see … many of them are downright dangerous.
- Guar gum , relatively safe, claims to block the absorption of fat and increase the feeling of fullness causing less calorie intake. It is unlikely to cause weight loss but likely to cause gastrointestinal problems and can cause intestinal blockage if taken without enough water
- Bitter orange claims to be the safe substitute for trim life keto pills ephedra, also claiming to increase the number of calories burned … but it too may cause the same health problems as ephedra.
- Chitosan, which claims to block dietary fat absorption, is relatively safe but does nothing to cause weight loss. Instead it can cause gastrointestinal problems such as bloating and constipation/
- Chromium is another product which is relatively safe, claiming to reduce body fat and build muscle, but it is very unlikely to cause weight loss.
- CLA … conjugated linoleic acid… claims to reduce the appetite, decrease body fat and build muscle. It may do the latter two but not cause